Okta is an identity and access management (IAM) platform. Here's their story and why Edlink is a solid alternative.
- Okta offers businesses, app developers, and learning institutions services that connect users to technologies. Their offerings include Single Sign-On and integrations with systems like SalesForce and Blackboard.
- They recently reported a data breach that occurred in January 2022 that they say impacted 2.5% of their corporate customers.
- If you’re an EdTech company looking for another intermediary to provide integrations with school systems, Edlink offers a comprehensive, secure solution.
The story of Okta
Todd McKinnon (CEO) and Frederic Kerrest (COO) founded Okta in 2009. Their goal was to "enable any company to use any technology while protecting the identities of their workforce and customers."
Since 2009, their valuation has grown to $24.77 billion.
In 2021, they acquired 0Auth, a leading identity platform for developers, for $6.5 billion. The goal of the acquisition was to enable Okta to securely address a broader set of identity use cases.
...what about the security breach?
In March 2022, Okta reported a security breach of their system that occurred in January.
Okta's blog post about the incident was released after the Lapsus$ cybercrime gang published screenshots revealing apparent access to Okta's internal systems. Okta says that 366 of their corporate customers--representing 2.5% of their customer base--were affected.
How did it happen? Okta traces the incident back to their sub-processor, Sitel. On January 21st, a cyber attacker gained remote access to a Sitel customer support engineer's laptop, which was logged into Okta. The attacker then obtained the screenshots.
So what's Edlink?
Edlink is a software company that helps learning applications integrate with learning management systems (LMS).
Edlink's clients are EdTech companies who have a digital application that supports schools or universities in some way. Examples are Edulastic (now owned by GoGuardian), Carnegie Learning, SchoolMint, Schooltube and more.
Since we launched in February 2020, we’ve been trusted to support over 11 million students and teachers every day with our integrations.
If you’re looking for an alternative to Okta, why consider Edlink?
With Edlink, you’ll have ready-to-use integrations with every major LMS on the market and many other school data providers.
- Your product will have access to a wide range of functionality including Single Sign-On, secure user authentication with 0Auth 2.0, rostering, assignment pass-back, and grade pass-back.
- You’ll be up and running in a fraction of the time it’ll take you to build an in-house integration.
- You and your school admins will have an Edlink dashboard that makes it easy to manage and monitor data integrations.
- Your schools and districts will have unequivocal control over access to their data.
Plus the benefits of working with a security-forward team
- Personally-identifiable data (PII) is stored at rest with AES 256 encryption and is encrypted in transit with TLS 1.3.
- Our systems are all hosted by Google Cloud platform, and we store all data inside the United States.
- All employees do mandatory security awareness training and complete background checks.
- Edlink's only sub-processors are AWS, Google Cloud, and New Relic. Okta has 21 sub-processors.
Read more about Edlink's security practices
- How does Edlink handle Data Privacy and Security?
- Edlink is getting our SOC 2!
- How Edlink Handles School Data
Want to learn more?
If you have questions about interoperability, we'd love to chat with you! The Edlink API can help integrate your app with nearly all of the major learning management systems, including Canvas, Schoology, Google Classroom, and Microsoft Teams.