Okta Quick Facts:
- Okta is an Identity and Access Management (IAM) platform.
- Okta offers businesses, app developers, and learning institutions services to connect users to technologies. Its offerings include integrations with systems like SalesForce and Blackboard which feature perks like SSO.
- In January 2022, Okta reported a data breach that claims to have impacted 2.5% of its corporate customers.
The story of Okta
Todd McKinnon (CEO) and Frederic Kerrest (COO) founded Okta in 2009, with the goal to "enable any company to use any technology while protecting the identities of their workforce and customers." In 2021, they acquired 0Auth, a leading identity platform for developers, for $6.5 billion. The goal of the acquisition was to enable Okta to securely address a broader set of identity use cases.
What about the security breach?
Okta's blog post about the incident was released after the Lapsus$ cybercrime gang published screenshots revealing apparent access to Okta's internal systems. Okta says that 366 of its corporate customers – representing 2.5% of its customer base – were affected.
How did this happen?
Okta traces the incident back to their sub-processor, Sitel. On January 21st, a cyber attacker gained remote access to a Sitel customer support engineer's laptop, which was logged into Okta. The attacker then obtained the screenshots.
Why consider Edlink?
We’re a software company that helps learning applications integrate with educational data systems (think LMSs, SISs, and Intensity Providers). Edlink's clients are edtech companies who have a digital applications that schools or universities can use in some way. Since Edlink launched in February 2020, we’ve been trusted to support over 20 million students and teachers every day with our integrations.
With Edlink, you’ll have ready-to-use integrations with every major LMS on the market and many other school data providers.
- Learning apps have access to a wide range of functionality including secure user authentication with 0Auth 2.0, SSO, rostering, content integration, and grade passback.
- Edtech developers can be up and running in a fraction of the time it’ll take to build an in-house integration.
- Learning apps and their school admins will have an Edlink dashboard that makes it easy to manage and monitor data integrations.
- Schools and districts will have unequivocal control over access to their data.
Plus working on a security-forward team
- PII is stored at rest with AES 256 encryption and is encrypted in transit with TLS 1.3.
- Edlink’s systems are all hosted by Google Cloud platform, and we store all data inside the United States.
- All employees do mandatory security awareness training and complete background checks.
- Edlink's only sub-processors are AWS, Google Cloud, and New Relic. Okta has 21 sub-processors.
Read more about Edlink's Security and Privacy Practices
If you’re interested to learn more about Edlink’s Unified API, here’re other articles we’ve written.
- Edlink’s Security Center - Our Collection of Security Articles
- Edlink’s Privacy Center - Our Collection of Privacy Articles
- How does Edlink Handle Data Privacy and Security?
- How Edlink Handles School Data
- Does Edlink store PII?
Ready to Start Integrating?
Create a developer account to set up a test sandbox.
Or if you think Edlink can help you on your integration journey, email us at email@example.com to set up a call.