Both app developers and school admins would like to limit the amount of school data shared with apps. But, school data systems don't offer a great way to do this.
- To address this problem, Edlink created the Sharing Rules feature.
- Sharing Rules give school admins and app developers the ability to select which users and other properties are shared with Edlink-connected apps.
- Sharing Rules are a self-serve, simple feature in the Edlink dashboard.
How Sharing Rules Work
When learning app developers build an LMS integration into the app, it can be difficult to limit which users should have access to the app. Edlink’s solution to this is our Sharing Rules feature. Sharing Rules gives developers and school admins the ability to set rules on which users, classes, or enrollments are shared between their LMS and Edlink-connected apps.
When a school connects its LMS or SIS to Edlink, both the school admin and app developer can select which users from the school's data source are allowed to access the app.
Both sides can choose to implement sharing rules based on any of these categories:
|class id||first name||school name|
|class name||last name||school ID|
How Sharing Rules Make School Data Integrations Safer
- Only authorized teachers and students will be able to log in to the app.
- The app can't retrieve any data of unshared users.
- Schools and app developers know exactly what school data is being shared, and can view, manage, and update this data anytime.
Start Using Sharing Rules in a Few Clicks
It’s a piece of cake – we promise! Sharing Rules is a self-serve, simple feature in the Edlink dashboard.
- School admins and EdTech developers select which data they’d like to share via our visualization tool.
- Once they’ve selected their school data, Edlink automatically updates the data that's sent to the app.
- The school admin will quickly see these changes in our dashboard.
Have More Question about Edlink?
Read our full collection of frequently asked questions about Edlink and our Unified API.
Ready to Start Integrating?
Create a developer account to set up a test sandbox.
Or if you think Edlink can help you on your integration journey, email us at email@example.com to set up a call.