We'll touch on:
- How Edlink’s Transformations tool solves these data issues errors,
- How Transformations improve data coming from the LMS and SIS, and
- How easy Transformations are to use.
What Are Transformations?
- This feature works by giving school admins and edtech developers the ability to override and mask data coming from the LMS or SIS.
- Transformations is a self-serve, simple feature located in the Edlink dashboard.
Use Case: Less-than-perfect LMS and SIS Data
When it comes to integrations, LMS and SIS data can have their quirks. Think about misspelled names, incorrect email addresses, or roles — you name it.
For example, an SIS like Skyward won't send school admin data to integrated tools. Meanwhile, an LMS like Canvas or Google Classroom won't send apps a user's role in the school.
Even if a school admin can easily correct the data in the LMS or SIS, there isn’t enough time in the day to catch it all.
Edlink's Transformations can solve this.
When a school connects its LMS or SIS to Edlink, both the school admin and tool developer can “transform” the sent data. Transformations can edit data fields coming in from the LMS or SIS within the integrated app. Transformations can also mask data fields that a school would like to keep private.
Some specific examples of how Transformations have helped Edlink clients and the schools they work with:
- If an instructional coach is incorrectly enrolled as a type of administrator in the LMS | the developer or school admin can update the role of the user to a teacher or to a role that can be mapped in the developer’s platform.
- If a student has a misspelled name or e-mail address in the LMS | the app developer or admin can update the student to have the correct spelling.
- If a school would like to prevent integrated tools from accessing their students’ full names | the developer or admin can remove that field from data synced from the school’s educational system to the app.
How it works
In just a few clicks within the Edlink dashboard, users can start using a self-served and simple transformation:
- School admins and edtech developers input the changes they’d like to make to their data via Edlink’s visualization tool.
- Once they’ve selected their changes, Edlink automatically updates the sent data.
- The school admin will quickly see these changes in Edlink’s dashboard.
Learn More about Edlink’s Unified API
If you’re interested to learn more about Edlink’s Unified API, here’re other articles we’ve written:
- Should I Integrate with the Google Classroom API or the Edlink Unified API?
- Getting Started Developing with Edlink
- How to Connect a New School to Edlink
- How Edlink Helps Onboard Your Schools
- How Edtech Vendors Support Districts with Edlink
Ready to Start Integrating?
Create a developer account to set up a test sandbox.
Or if you think Edlink can help you on your integration journey, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a call.